Monday, October 02, 2006

The Original Barefoot Sandal


Long before 'foot thongs' were anything other than flips-flops, there were the original barefoot sandals.
Each pair was unique, distinct & usually made with resources within arms reach... braided monkey grass or woven grapevines, yarn & ribbons, shoelaces, twine, leather ...

Threads of this, that or the other would be wrapped around the toes, crossed over the arch & again on the sole, wrapped around the ankle & eventually tied into security.

Things could be tied into them... beads, shells, charms, flowers, leaves
Wearing them, you walk where your imagination allows...
when I was 4 & 5, it was often into the world of Cowboys & Indians or Tarzan & Jane. By 8 or 9 we stepped into the world of Greek Gods & Goddesses, Princess Warriors & Woodland Fairies.
And it only grew from there.
Barefoot Sandals...not to be confused with the 'foot thong.'
Love, Love Me Do.
~Love Grows
Barefoot Sandal pictured has a small conch shell on the arch & is made with a peice of leather string. These were my wedding shoes...no need to dye,no need for stockings, no high heels. They store easily & can be worn just about anywhere.

9 comments:

Justgivemepeace said...

Ohhhhh, I so recognize those skinny little feet and those barefoot sandals! That exact moment. That magic! My newest pair are plopped on the porch, having recently been worn out there, and are awaiting our next night of Saturday night barefoot dancing! Love grows!
PS I DO NOT recognize the feet, the legs, the strawberry boxers in the background! Too many pre-nuptial toddies!

skinnylittleblonde said...

LOL, Cherry-bomb dress worn by our toe-head cousin on our mothers' side!

I sat up last night playing with fishing line, acryllic paint, tin cans, heart shaped rocks & drilled out bullet casings, while simultaneously meandering through old photo-albums...

This picture took me way back & since now-a-days 'barefoot thongs' are available at the drug store, I thought I'd just share some history on them.

I just know we are not alone with our barefoot sandals!

singleton said...

She was wearing THAT? What fruitcakes we were in the moments before...!!!

vicci said...

I have never seen barefoot thongs at the drug store!!! I want a pair!!!! I remember them from the hippie make love not war days...in San Francisco...I think! I was too stoned to remember very much!!!!

JustRun said...

Those are great. A good friend of mine wore those (though a more beaded version) for her wedding a couple years ago and inspired me to do the same one day.

Me said...

That picture reminds me of my ex girlfriend who was a true hippie. She loved that kind of fashion. I loved her for it.

skinnylittleblonde said...

Vicci~ I saw them in passing at the local pharmacy, the type with a gift shop area.
JustRun~ Sounds Good To Me! I had a girlfriend who was wearing sneakers under her beautiful lacy dress...I thought that might be like you!
Orhan~ Glad to bring back postive memories to you!

M@ said...

Hmmm. It's hard not to stare at bare feet on the train b/c you look down so you won't make eye contact so much and then you notice everyone's shoes and your eye gets caught on the sexiest ones and then she notices you staring and thinks it's a fetish thing but it's not.

skinnylittleblonde said...

LOL, I remember some guy some where had a on-line log called something like 'life on the train' and all it was were pictures of peoples feet & his predictions of their lives based upon their shoes, their feet, the condition, style & so on.